[time-nuts] Antennas, roofs

Stan W1LE stanw1le at verizon.net
Wed Feb 18 01:55:30 UTC 2009

Hello Hal,

You can find roof penetrations in the plumbing dept of Home Depot or Lowes.
Some will handle from a 4" (ID) PVC pipe used as a drain vent, down to a
1" trade size pipe.

I prefer the rubber gland on sheet metal, vs. the rubber gland on plastic.

Using the white DWV (drain waste vent) PVC pipe will work but is a
bright white eyesore.
Conside the toned down, grey electrical conduit, also schedule 40.
Galvi pipe works too.

These glands are common to a residential roofer.
Talk to multiple roofing contractors and get their ideas.

My plan is to have the GPS antenna on a metal mast (pipe) slightly
higher than the ridge line,
penetrating the roof about 1-2' below the ridge line. I will secure the
metal mast to the rafter inside
 and run the coaxial cable thru the mast to the antenna which screws
onto the top of the mast.
I will use standard roofing shingles, non metal.

A metal roof will allow reflections off of the roof into the antenna.
Keep the antenna above the highest point of the roof.
But, a standing seam metal roof will allow a cost effective way to
secure PV solar panels.

Model GPS system performance at the exact location with a temporary antenna
before any permanent holes are made.

Right now I am using a cheap active patch antenna ,  ~ 5$ on ebay,
outside on a temporary tripod
at gutter height. Lady Heather shows me with 8 satellites, usually under
reception.

Try the various inside locations for a GPS antenna.
If you can live with the results, avoid the leak potential of a hole in
the roof.

Ultimately, find the best location with a temporary antenna. make the
roof penetration, then add a
HP multicoupler inside and feed other GPS receivers. All from a single
antenna

Your RF electromagnetic environment may be unique. Test at temporary
locations.
Hopefully, from the final location you can see clean sky from horizon to
horizon.

I like the radomed (bubble) on the roof, inside installation.
Only gotcha is the non standard product and you would have to engineer it.

Talk to you roofing contractor for ideas, he does this stuph all day long.

What does your Mrs. have to say about the installation ??

Metal roofs are noisey with precipitation, like hale, rain, or snow,
as well as creaky with thermal expansion/contraction.

I would expect a metal roof, properly installed, to last a lifetime,
Can not say that about asphault/fiberglass roofing shingles.

Stan, W1LE    FN41sr    Cape Cod