[time-nuts] beryllium oxide
rdarlington at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 17:22:50 UTC 2009
On 1/16/09, Brooke Clarke <brooke at pacific.net> wrote:
> Hi Bruce:
> Why is beryllium oxide a problem when it's already in a product?
> I believe the danger is something similar to asbestos where inhaling large
> amounts it is the problem. Shipyard workers applying loose asbestos to
> and boilers inhaled the material all during there work day and ended up with
> medical problems. I've heard that electronics workers that made products
> beryllium oxide also suffered medical problems. They were breathing a lot
> the dust. Mechanics who grind brake material will have no problem from
> asbestos just as motorists since the "fish hooks" are no longer present in
> asbestos dust. I used to have a sheet of asbestos that fit into the oven and
> was used to bake bread. It's OK to eat asbestos and probably beryllium
> There's a disused hotel on our main street that's a brick building heated
> with a steam boiler with the whole system insulated with asbestos. It's a
> (expensive) problem to remove that asbestos in a way safe for the person
> it and doing all the needed OSH paperwork. I believe the cost to remove the
> asbestos far exceeds the economic value of the building and the land it's
> sitting on. In time that will change.
> Don't see any problem related to (beryllium oxide) oscillator disposal. Can
> you elaborate?
> Have Fun,
> Brooke Clarke
> Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> . . .
>> However there are a few OCXOs that use beryllium oxide within them,
>> these are usually labelled as such and no attempt at reverse engineering
>> should be made.
>> I have one of these lying around.
>> Safe disposal of such devices is also problematic.
> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts at febo.com
> To unsubscribe, go to
> and follow the instructions there.
Sent from my mobile device
More information about the time-nuts