[time-nuts] French Time offset

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Mar 18 23:14:37 UTC 2009

Michael Sokolov skrev:
> "Lux, James P" <james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>> Things get done for funny reasons: After all, the physical size of France is
>> why ATM "cells" (packets) are 53 bytes (48 byte payload) instead of either 32
>> byte or 64 byte payloads.
>
> Huh?  Can you please elaborate?  I thought the 48 octets of payload were
> a compromise between the camp that wanted 32 and the camp that wanted 64.

As I have heard it many times, 32 was the European choice, as you can
just drop a E1 frame into it. 64 was the American choice, as it would be
more efficient for datapatches. The compromise 48 didn't fit either of them.

> MS,
> who has implemented the whole ATM/AAL5 stack in software (looking at
> cell headers and all) for SDSL.

Incidently I explained the intricate details of AAL5 and EPD to a
colleage yesterday. Here I thought I had recovered...

Cheers,
Magnus