[time-nuts] Time offset

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Mar 19 11:59:25 UTC 2009

In message <1231b6a80903190341x362ae5cfg8651f1d36fc176fc at mail.gmail.com>, Steve
 Rooke writes:

>Has anyone thought of making some huge rockets and attaching them to
>the Earth at the Equator in such a way that when they are fired, we
>could speed-up the World so its rotation is exactly 24 x 60 x 60 x
>9,192,631,770 cycles of the radiation, which corresponds to the
>transition between two hyperfine energy levels of the ground state of
>the 133Cs atom per day.

Yes, I did a back of the envelope calculation, besides the practical
issues, you really cannot afford to do that.

A better strategy, seen from an economy of energy and resource point
of view, would be to change the orbit of the moon by nudging some
asteroids into it

You would have to get it to leave the earths orbit and slingshot around
venus (or mars), then come back and go into orbit the opposite way.

Some side-effects must be expected.

Poul-Henning