[time-nuts] GPS from a window seat

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Oct 1 16:14:00 UTC 2009

Jim,

Jim Palfreyman wrote:
> I've done this with two separate GPS units. One was a basic unit with
> no maps - more designed for bushwalking, boating and other direct
> navigation. It worked really well.

Mmm. Bushwalking is one of your local specialities I gather...

> Just recently (a few days ago) flying to Perth I used my car-designed
> Navman. It locked easily and I chuckled as it rapidly swept across
> roads and intersection on the ground at 777 km/hr telling me "Go to
> nearest road".

That must have been one jumpy ride... 777 km/hr offroad.

Once again I have been forced to invent a DC fake load to handle the
case where the current sensing of the GPS receiver is set higher than
the hooked in GPS antenna consumes. The shot-from-the-hip solution
involves a T-connector, a 10 uH SMD coil and a 470 Ohm SMD resistor. Not
ideal in any sense, but hopefull pulls enought (additional 10 mA) while
not mocking too much with the signal. A similar approach has worked before.

Cheers,
Magnus