[time-nuts] [OT] GPS from a window seat

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Oct 2 08:34:13 UTC 2009

In message <FAD0F39D8FA7F440861941A74B1AE560364986 at sbsserver.AREMV.local>, "Dav
e Baxter" writes:

>Tests were done a few years ago at London Gatwick, LGW (on the ground)
>to see what impact (if any) the use of a cellphone had when used inside
>a commercial pasenger aircraft.

I think the only documented effect so far, that have shown an actual
capacity for instrument misreadings or mal-function, is interference
with DME signals by really old or defective GSM phones in the 900MHz
band.

Since the coupling is via the planes DME antenna, there is very
little mitigation possible.

Given that most passengers are not willing to let the airlines take
a "it probably works" attitude to the flight hardware, I think it
is reasonably fair that the airlines ask passengers to do their bit.

Personally, I find flying objectionable enough as it is, and I
certainly do not forsee passengers yelling into cell-phones improving
the experience.

Poul-Henning