[time-nuts] GPS from a window seat

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Sun Oct 4 07:36:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 12:20:26AM -0700, Hal Murray wrote:
> > Why the ban on AM/FM receivers?
>
> I assume it's EMI from the local oscillator.
>
> Is anybody shipping an AM/FM radio that isn't superhet?

	FWIW, I have read and been told that there was an era when some
cheap AM/FM radios put out a lot of signal from the LO 10.7 MHz away
from FM stations and that at least a few of them used high side LOs
which would put that LO signal potentially right in the middle of the
band used by VOR navigation beacons and ILS localizers... just above the
FM band from 108-118 MHz.   This would obviously not be good if the
signal power was great enough to interfere with navigation receivers.

	The broad rule was put in place because there was no effective
way of determining if any particular radio a passenger might have
radiated or if it even had FM tuning capability.  It was safer just to
ban everything because of those few radios that were way outside of
spec.

--
  Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die at dieconsulting.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in