[time-nuts] GPS from a window seat

Thomas A. Frank ka2cdk at cox.net
Sun Oct 4 20:28:17 UTC 2009

> 	I have read that there have been studies with a spectrum
> analyzer system on planes that have shown that compliance with the no
> radiating device rules and electronics off during takeoff and
> landing is
> far less than 100% though I certainly would not personally
> deliberately
> violate the law whether or not the probability of it causing a problem
> is significant.  Apparently one or two cellphones can be seen
> registering
> with cell systems during takeoff and landing on many flights -
> probably
> most of them unintentionally left on.

Which is why the onus should be on the aircraft manufacturers to make
certain that there is no potential for life threatening danger from
electronic devices.

A blanket ban is the usual response from a bureaucracy to something
that they cannot actually control, and which they do not wish to put
the effort into correcting.

But that doesn't change the fact that if a drunk businessman or a
bored 6 year old with a new toy can stealthily endanger all the
passengers on a plane, the responsibility - and liability - should be
with the aircraft designer.

Bringing it back to the normal topic at hand, I wonder - if you had a
radio receiver tuned to WWV, and a GPS with a 1pps, if you could see
the relativistic effect of flying at 500 knots at 30K feet and log it
on your computer?

Tom Frank, KA2CDK