[time-nuts] fast freq. synthesis schemes

Luis Cupido cupido at mail.ua.pt
Thu Oct 15 01:05:31 UTC 2009

 >> I would use a DDS, but only for fine tuning
 >> in a summing loop.  E.g., use a
 >> DAC to pretune the varactor or YTO to
 >> within 50 or so MHz, feed the sampler
 >> LO port with a clean 100 MHz crystal,
 >> then close the loop by comparing the
 >> sampler IF to the DDS-generated offset signal.
 >
 > This is a nice technique. The trick is in making sure you
 > lock to the right comb and the right side..

Jim, I had no problems doing that on my old design
LO was a bit higher in frequency making it easier
and yes the harmonic mixer was driven with 18-20dBm
OK as it is not a power critical application.

And on top of that the micro-controller driving that
had a self calibration routine that scanned through
stepping 50MHz and adjusting DAC for a zero PFD output
then store on a table, that on normal use the uC interpolates
within each 50MHz tabled point to get the right DAC value.
(uC times are not to be considered here as all calculations
are done much before during the so called setup time)

So cleverness on board (i.e. microprocessor and
soft) is not a problem for the application.

My issue is RF and microwave simplicity ;-)

tks for your good comments and articles.

Luis Cupido.
ct1dmk