[time-nuts] Lady Heather wants to know: How big is your tube?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Oct 15 05:06:24 UTC 2009

> The question is what is the maximum full screen resolution of your
> video monitor?   If there is some consensus on screen sizes in use,  I
> can optimize the code for maximum natural goodness...

There are several "good" screen sizes.

In the old days, the magic numbers were either 1280x1024 or 1024x768.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XGA
There were some way older numbers like 800x600 and 640x480.  (I'd suggest
ignoring them, but if it's easy to support them it might help people who are
running LH on really old gear.)

In the old days, the aspect ratio was 4:3.  With HDTV, the sweet spot on the
aspect ratio is shifting to 16:9.  That gives a magic number of 1920x1080.

Another new magic number is 1440x900, but I don't see how that connects to
16:9.

There are probably a couple of other magic numbers I've missed.