[time-nuts] Lady Heather and gpsd

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 20 14:58:51 UTC 2009

Heather will happily process any TSIP message that comes in over the serial port (whether she requested them or not).  If they contain any info that can be displayed,  then that info will go to the screen.  No assumptions are made about packet timing, etc.  Data gets processed and displayed as it comes in.

Without an outbound serial line to request the misc status messages,  the only data that comes from the tbolt are the "broadcast" messages (primary timing,  secondary timing, satellite selection list and satellite solutions (and those do not have the satellite position and signal level info).  So basically you lose the az/el/dB info,  the alarm status info,  the version info,  etc

There are couple dozen status messages that get requested (one each second).  To get an idea of what they are check the source file heathgps.cpp   Look for the routine request_misc_msg().

I haven't done any real Linux programming so I don't know what it would take to do a port.  The program only has a few operating system dependent routines.  They all deal with keyboard/screen/mouse/sound/serial port I/O.