[time-nuts] repairing Maser threads

Corby Dawson cdelect at juno.com
Tue Apr 13 18:03:55 UTC 2010

Hi,

It does not seem Time-Nutty but I need help repairing threads in a
mounting hole.

I recently installed a new ion pump in an EFOS2 Hydrogen maser and two of
the mounting holes (metric M5)

have damaged threads.

The bolts go in fine but wont tighten and if you wiggle the bolt you can
pull it out.

I've looked at the various locktight and permatex stuff but am unsure
that they will do what I want.

I'm hoping someone has experience with these and can advise me.

What I hope will happen with the right product is that I apply it to the
threads, screw in the bolt until it just contacts the lock washer, wait
until the goop cures, and then

tighten until the lock washer is compressed and the bolt is tight.

Just don't know what product to try! Want to be able to disassemble
without special tools or heating.

Any help is appreciated!

Corby Dawson