[time-nuts] [OT] degausing

Kit Scally kScally at BYTECAN.com.au
Thu Apr 15 23:58:34 UTC 2010

Craig,

If memory serves me correctly, Philips "better quality" PAL colour TV's
in the late 70's to early 80's "inverted" the CRT for us in the Southern
Hemisphere.  The TV's were clearly marked as such on the packing box.

For reasons unknown, Japanese-made colour TV's never seemed to have this
problem.  Even though I was working professionally with these beasts at
the time in a TV station, I never figured out why Jap TV's seemed immune
to this problem whilst those made by our Dutch friends were not.

OOLLM I guess.

Kit
VK2LL
Sydney

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:21:03 -0700
From: "Craig S McCartney" <CMcCartney at on-sitetraining.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] [OT] degausing
To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement"
	<time-nuts at febo.com>
<9FEDD04E51E8C045BC6FBCBC49346072381C86 at smbuserver.On-SiteTraining.local

A bit off topic, but likely interesting to time-nuts:
>>snip
So, we had a HDTV monitor that doubled as a earth hemisphere detector,
using magnetic flux differential.  Needless to say, we only used it in
northern hemisphere shows after that.

Craig McCartney
WA8DRZ