[time-nuts] [OT] degausing

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 16 04:33:38 UTC 2010

wa1zms at att.net wrote:
> FWIW.....A good high quality compass needs to be designed based on what
> region of the earth you plan to use it in. The Suunto ones I have are
> marked with a US region code.

That's because they need to compensate for the "dip" in the magnetic
field.  The south end of the needle in the US is weighted heavier so the
needle sits level.

The magnetic field is so non-horizontal in some areas that there are
stories about making permanent magnets by heating iron bars in a
fireplace and standing them up next to the fireplace to cool.