[time-nuts] [OT] degausing

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Apr 16 11:54:23 UTC 2010

Are they really?  For some reason, every Trinitron I have ever seen
has clusters of little stick on magnets placed here and there on the
back of the glass envelope.

The trinitron has a shadowmask.  It is a grill of highly tensioned wires
that are positioned just behind the screen.  The original trinitron tube
was a little 5 inch diagonal CRT.  It had to be small because the wires
tended to vibrate if the set was bumped, and that made for some very odd
displays.  The later larger tubes had horizontal titanium wires welded to
the backs of the shadow mask wires every 5 or 10 inches, to prevent the
psychedelic color fest that happened when the CRT got bumped.

The trinitron has three very carefully aligned cathodes in the gun.  They
are positioned side-by-side, creating the slight different projection
angles necessary to cause the long vertical slots formed by the shadow mask
to eclipse the appropriate color bands on the screen.

I'm not sure what you are describing; it sure sounds cool; but it isn't
a trinitron.

Can you find some references?  I'd like to read up on it.

-Chuck Harris