[time-nuts] Simulating Oscillator Noise: DifficultiesSimulatingFlicker FM Noise

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 12:38:51 UTC 2010

Hi Magnus,

On 26 April 2010 00:01, Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:
>>> I have become old enough that most of the UNIX flavours I have worked on
>>> is
>>> now deceased or about to. This is mainly the history of commercial
>>> UNIXes.

> You didn't get me right... UNIX (and offspring Linux) is not dying, but
> Xenix, SunOS, Ultrix, OSF/1, HP-UX, IRIX etc. is dying or dead. Wonder what
> is happening to AIX (which I haven't used) and Solaris. These are all
> various vendors proprietary variants of UNIX. The field have shifted in that
> sense. A greater part of the OS is now being brought in from the open and
> only necessary stuff is added for the task at hand.

Excuse me for reading it the way I did as you can get two meanings
from what you said. Whatever is said about the rag, tag and bobtail
variants of 'nix, there are still folks keeping them alive because
they have applications/hardware/fan-cub interests. Strange in a way, I
can't imagine anyone wanting to keep WinME, or even Vista (among
others), alive today.

Agreed, why reinvent the wheel. Once something has gone through a long
history of incremental development and debugging it seems like a
sensible idea to use that as a foundation and build on it.

> Proprietary OSes in the old sense is less and less meaningful.

It's just an OS after all, nothing more than that, but it does form
the foundation of any system and it needs to be rock solid. Sadly some
software houses seem to think that a stable sold foundation is not
sexy so they stick some chipboard down on the floor, knock up some
plasterboard walls (who needs brick on the outside) add a hardboard
roof and then add lots of dazzling Christmas lights, gargoyles,
flashing neon lights, spinning mirror balls, and all the
carlos-fandango flashy accessories under the sun. And in 6(2) years
time they go and build another house but this time they change about
80% of the design completely because no-one can ever remember how they
made the last one and all the young people who built it are burnt out
and have left for the hills leaving no documentation (who needs
documentation anyway). And the strange thing is that people wonder how
you can make an open source OS for free, I mean it costs big money to
make anything good right :)

Sorry for the waste of bandwidth guys.

Cheers,
Steve

> Cheers,
> Magnus

Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
A man with one clock knows what time it is;
A man with two clocks is never quite sure.