[time-nuts] Can Lady Heather Keep Computer Clock On Time?

Leigh L. Klotz, Jr WA5ZNU Leigh at WA5ZNU.org
Sun Aug 1 03:49:05 UTC 2010

  On 07/29/2010 03:57 PM, Mark Sims wrote:
> Yes,  there is a time sync command that causes the program to set the system clock at periodic intervals or whenever it differs from GPS by a given amount.
> I'm still out on the "Project From Hell Mark II" and I don't remember all the gory details...  I think /TSA on the command line  says sync the time whenever the clocks differ by a millisecond.  There is also /TSO /TSD /TSH /TSM /TSS to set it once, hourly, daily, every minute or second.  There is also a /TSX command to specify the time offset from the Tbolt serial command to GPS (which is usually around 45 milliseconds).  TS from the keyboard just syncs the clock once.

I realize this request is for Windows, but I thought I'd mention this
for the benefit of others.

I'm using tboltd by Ralph Smith on Linux.  It provides the time to ntpd
and LH 3.00 beta can talk to tboltd via the TCP connection, so
monitoring can happen at the same time as the ntpd.  It works great on
Linux, as well as BSD (for which it was designed):
   http://www.mail-archive.com/time-nuts@febo.com/msg26129.html

It runs well under wine like this:
wine heather.exe /IP=localhost:45000 /TW=250

The /etc/ntp.conf config file stanza looks like this.  (I admit I've
guessed at the 0.0275 delay.)

# for attached GPS
tos mindist 0.030
server 127.127.28.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 prefer
fudge 127.127.28.0 time1 0.0275 stratum 1 refid GPS

Serious use would probably call for a Soekris box, but not so serious
use lets me use the tbolt time signal for free, as I have it on for the
10MHz reference.

Leigh/WA5ZNU