[time-nuts] Remove Pictic boards from envelopes

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 10 11:01:59 UTC 2010

I have not been involved in this project but have had pcbs from eastern
sources supplied to RoHS. Some have come in with bare copper pads. I wonder
if the reason for this may be that their standard process was not "tinning",
but it was a a solder-flow stage, and they still have lead-tin solder baths.
So they avoid the one proces involving lead to produce an RoHS produce.
Other manufactures happily produce compliant tinned pcbs.

I found the use of a flux pen was adequate to ensure even lead-free manual
soldering even after the board had been in store for several months. Could
there maybe be a thin flux coating over the pads which is cause the
disquiet?

Alan G3NYK