[time-nuts] Frequency counters

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Fri Aug 20 17:50:20 UTC 2010

On Aug 20, 2010, at 10:35 AM, Stephen Farthing wrote:
> I want to find a frequency counter that will read to 1 hz precision up to a
> minimum of 30 Mhz that I can clock using the output from my Efratom 101 Rb
> frequency standard. I am quite happy to make one if there is a suitable
> design out there. Any suggestions?

I'm also beginning to look for a counter with very similar requirements. Studying eBay the other day, I came to the conclusion that an HP 5384A would be a good option, combining small size (compared to older rackmount counters), adequate resolution, an external reference input, and availability at fairly low prices. I decided that I probably don't need to hold out for one with the TCXO or OCXO options, since I'd generally only use it on my bench with my TBolt's OCXO as a reference, and it simply switches between its built-in reference and the external one rather than phase-locking its own reference (so I wouldn't be using its internal reference, and thus its performance wouldn't matter).

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/