[time-nuts] Phase noise measurement (was - no subject)

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Tue Aug 24 16:29:16 UTC 2010

Hi

I've always calibrated my phase noise setups to the phase slope of the mixer
I'm using. It does involve switching gains, but it's a direct system
calibration. Beat note is 360 degrees, so this chunk is x degrees and you
got y mv over that chunk. Check the slope on the other side of the beat note
to make sure it's the same. Do some math and you have a radian to volt
transfer function.

If you are sorting junk box OCXO's it's a pretty good way to do it. The only
added steps are an independent measurement of the switched gain / gain
flatness and a short circuit input check to estimate the noise floor. Both
are an initial setup / one time only sort of thing with most amps.

Bob