[time-nuts] GPS NTP servers

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Aug 31 17:11:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:55:17 -0700 (PDT)
Stanley Reynolds <stanley_reynolds at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would use a surplus thunderbolt vs the HP Z3801A GPS disciplined oscillator
> for cost reasons but would check to make sure a working driver exist for which
> ever gps receiver is connected to the RS232 port. Thunderbolt would feed the
> clock-block in either case. This is on my list to do but I'm not having much
> luck winning a bid on the net4501.

I just recently bought a net5501 instead of the Alix boards i usually
get because i needed 3 NICs and a PCI slot. I was astonished how
badly designed the device is compared to what PC Engines delivers.
Not to mention the total lack of documentation. The only docu on the
net5501 is a user written wiki page that is refernced by soekris
but otherwise totally ignored and thus has more holes than documented
places (compare this to full schematics for all Alix boards).

I'm not going to talk about what i think about the case they sell
as i think that this kind of profanity has no place on this mailinglist.
I'm just saying this much: If you think you can run this without a fan,
then you are wrong.

			Attila Kinali
--
If you want to walk fast, walk alone.