[time-nuts] help from Electronic Vibration Compensation

Bob Camp lists at cq.nu
Mon Feb 1 12:38:37 UTC 2010

Hi

Are you interested in simple tip over compensation or are you really after vibration compensation?  If so, to how high a frequency? To what levels of vibration? On what sort of oscillator?

A fairly simple 2G 3 axis accelerometer can compensate just about any oscillator for tip over. There are some fairly cheap digital ones out there from several semiconductor outfits. The question would be - how fast can I tip it? Some oscillators respond to temperature effects of a tip as well as gravity. That's going to slow things down a *lot*. The simple approach wold be to pick another oscillator, that may not be an option in your case.

Lots of options / questions / routes to run down. Lots of answers that all start out with "that depends ...".

Pretty much the best case hardware for vibration:

1) Military ruggedized OCXO designed specifically for good G sensitivity
2) Accelerometer with a G level adequate to read out your G level with good signal to noise
3) Accelerometer and DSP adequate to handle the upper frequency you want to compensate
4) Good equipment to measure  phase noise under vibration

Even with all that stuff, you need to ask, how far down do you want to compensate, and at what frequency?

Bob