[time-nuts] ADEV vs MDEV

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sat Feb 6 23:12:22 UTC 2010

If one has a high end sound card then it could be used to implement the
bandpass filter and replace the zero crossing detector.
It may be necessary to insert a pilot tone to calibrate the sound card
sampling clock frequency.
A noise floor of about 1E-13/Tau should be achievable.
This simplifies the DMTD system by replacing the zero crossing detector
with a low gain linear preamp.

If one analyses the resultant data off line then one can also try out
different techniques such as a Costas receiver rather than a simple
bandpass filter plus zero crossing detector.
However 1000 seconds of data for 2 channels of 24 bit samples at 192KSPS
will result in a file with a size of at least 1.15GB.

Bruce