[time-nuts] Injection locking

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 11 00:33:54 UTC 2010

Since Q of the oscillator is basically F(center)/BW(cavity) your equation could reduce to
2* F(center)/BW(cavity) * deltaF/F(center) = 2 * deltaF/BW(cavity)

Or, the power ratio is roughly the square of how far the signal is from the 3dB point of the oscillator.

That is, if the 3dB point of the closein sidebands extend 10 Hz, and your signal is 10Hz away, the injection power would have to equal the carrier power?

There's an interesting article out there where a whole raft of microwave oven magnetrons were harnessed together to make a microwave weed killer, and they comment that they all tend to lock together.

When it comes to coupled oscillator arrays, there's a whole lot of literature. Look for York and Pogorzelski as authors (Pogo is just down the hall from me at work.)  I don't know if he's done work with coupling at a subharmonic of the output frequency.  No reason why it wouldn't work.