[time-nuts] hp 5065a life ?

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Feb 19 02:50:40 UTC 2010

> Dott. Alfredo Rosati wrote:
> > Is there  a way to assess what remains life  of hp 5065a
> Rubidium lamp ?
> > I bought a 5065a  is arrived in excellent condition almost like new.
> > The only incorrect parameter was the value  2arm, over 50, after a
> > tuning of R1 now is around 40.
> > everything works very well, but I'd like to know  how much life have
> > more ? is possible or only the time replay me.
> >

> Probably as much life as you have left Dottore, they don't wear out or
> get used up like Caesium.  Components in them may die like with any
> electronics, but the lamps should last as long as you :^)  They are a
> lot more reliable and accurate than the small newer Rb standards for
> sure.  I am sure mine will outlive me.

The lamps can be replaced if need be, although there's a lot of stuff to
take apart before you can get to it.  I'm told that you can even install
Efratom lamps in a 5065A with some Dow RTV.  Those are supposedly about $40
new, or could be cannibalized from an LPRO.

What I don't know is if the buffer gas ever gets embedded into the walls of
the filter or resonance cells, or diffuses out, or otherwise causes
problems.  If that were to happen it would limit the working life of the
unit in a way that wouldn't be easy to get around.

-- john, KE5FX