[time-nuts] Rack-mounting an LPRO?

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Sun Feb 28 01:56:48 UTC 2010

What else is going to be in the rack?  If your 1U enclosure is packed in
tight between other devices there might be no cooling at all.  You might
need a fan to move some air.

I don't know if you can find something like this, but I scavenged heat
sinks from an old Compaq DL760 server that might fit your situation.
Here's what the heat sink looks like.  The aluminum plate is about 1/4"
(6.4 mm) thick.  Notice the heat pipes.

Here's what it looks like on the LPRO.  You'll have to drill holes in
the plate to match the LPRO.

It's not perfect, but it certainly does the job - particularly if you
had a fan blowing through the fins.  The total height is about 1.75" (45
mm).

But remember, the more you cool the LPRO, the more power it will draw to
keep itself warm so you don't want to overdo the cooling.

Ed