[time-nuts] oscillator choice question

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Sat May 1 20:18:44 UTC 2010

Chris,

Careful.  What you are contemplating can be very addicting.

I am not familiar with the units you mentioned but I have used the HP 10811.
They can be had for not much money on occasion but seem to be around $100
now days.  One such example is 350335841291 on e..y.

I have also used an HP 105B which is a stand alone system that includes
power supply, battery back up, and puts out 5 MHz, 1 MHz and 100 KHz.  Both
used Brooks Shera's controller card and seemed to work ok.  It offers rather
easy integration with the GPS controller card as well as the ability to
remain on and fairly stable once disciplined.

I suspect this would be good as well, 180399463609, on e..y.

The Trimble Thunderbolt needs +5 VDC, +12 VDC and -12 VDC but is a self
contained GPSDO putting out 1 PPS and 10 MHz.  Not much construction
required with this but needs a computer to monitor function.

How do you plan to discipline the oscillator?

Joe