[time-nuts] synchronizing a large number of weakly coupled oscillators

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Wed May 12 11:39:19 UTC 2010

Hi

The tendency of clocks to self synchronize dates back at least to the days of pendulum clocks. It may date to the era of water clocks, but if so it's undocumented. It has been observed on a wide range of modern clock designs. If you look into "injection locking" you'll get a pretty good picture of what's going on.

The whole injection locking debate has gone on many times here on this list. Some think it's a good idea, others are not as excited about it. I am not aware of anybody using injection locking in precision applications. Normally the requirements on a precision clock include filtering that are difficult to do with an injection lock approach.

Bob