[time-nuts] Z3805 utility, Was: AW: (no subject)

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sat May 22 22:39:21 UTC 2010

Didier Juges wrote:
> Bill, I think you got it backwards. +/- 12V is typical for RS-232, 0/+5V is
> for RS-422 and RS-485.
>
> No RS-232 receiver should be damaged with +/- 12V or even +/- 15V because
> that is their normal operating voltage.
>
> Also, RS-422 and RS-485 have something like 25V common mode tolerance (not
> sure what the actual spec is there,) so that the RS-422 and RS-485 receivers
> should not be damaged by 15V either. The RS-422 drivers are pretty low
> impedance, while the RS-232 drivers are current limited, so I don't think
> that connecting an RS-232 driver into an RS-422 driver will damage either.

Picking one RS485 receiver (ADM1485) at random the receiver absolute
maximum (no damage) input range is -14V to +14V.
The RS485 receiver operating common mode range is -7V to +12V.
RS422 receivers have an input operating range of -7V to +7V.
The no damage RS422 receiver input ratings may be higher.
> However, most recent (<10 years?) RS-232 receivers will work with a 0/+3V or
> 0/+5V input, conveniently having a threshold a few 10's or 100's of mV above
> ground, even though the original RS-232 spec required receivers that work
> with as low as +/- 3V, and drivers that deliver +/- 9V minimum. Many
> commercial systems use +/- 5V drivers for RS-232 (B&B Electronics sells a
> lot of converters with these voltages). This is a deliciously sloppy spec
> that nobody has met in the last 25 years probably, yet works most of the
> time.
>
> The one thing to avoid is to short an RS-422 (or RS-485) driver to ground,
> as that can actually cause damage, maybe not every time, but definitely not
> recommended. These have relatively high current output capability to drive
> long lines.
>
> Didier KO4BB

Bruce