[time-nuts] Question about SoundCard stability?

David McClain dbm at refined-audiometrics.com
Wed Oct 13 01:17:51 UTC 2010

Ahh.. so... Now since my TCXO is drifting to and fro by 1-2 Hz over
the period of 45 minutes, why don't I see similar drift in the 100 Hz
audio signal, down around 5 mHz amplitude?

This happens to be about the same size at the FFT bins. So I am led
to conclude that "interpolated" peak frequencies are a bogus
technique, and you can only truly count on variations on the order of
the FFT cell size as being measurable...

Dr. David McClain
Chief Technical Officer
Refined Audiometrics Laboratory
4391 N. Camino Ferreo