[time-nuts] GPSDO Comparisons

Ziggy ziggy9 at pumpkinbrook.com
Wed Oct 20 20:08:01 UTC 2010

I did some searching (perhaps ineffectively) of the archives, looking
for some discussion of the merits of the different GPSDO products that
we commonly see on auction sites. I've seen some discussions of
individual models, but nothing that really discusses the differences,
and why one unit may be superior to another. I'm a newcomer, so please
be patient with my silly questions :)

For example, what are the relative merits of the HP units? There are
different vintages HP Z3801A, Z3805A, Z3815A, etc. and datasheets are
available, but what  difference is there when using the output from
these different models? For example, the Z3801A has a 6 channel GPS
receiver. The Samsung/Symmetricom Z3805A we see out there has a 16
channel receiver. What is the difference when it comes to practical
usage of these two different units? Does tracking 10 or 12 satellites
provide a benefit over tracking 6?

Then there are the different manufacturers. There are the HP units, the
Alcatel-Lucent units (also of varying vintage), Trimble Thunderbolts,
and others. Again, when it comes to practical usage is there any
difference between these? Is there any value in paying the premium for a
Z3805A over a Thunderbolt? (Above the plug and play aspects.) I can get
an older ALU unit with both GPSDO and Ru units for $100. How am I
hurting myself with that purchase?

There is certainly more public information available for some vendors
and models than others. The software like Lady Heather or GPS Control
provide a lot of information, and for the less popular units there is no
such software option. Under what circumstances would that be a handicap?

I freely admit I'm ignorant, but I'm not thin skinned. I'm just not
aware yet of the factors to be considered when answering the questions
above. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul