[time-nuts] Maintaining boatanchors (was Capacitor Failures)

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Oct 23 10:47:27 UTC 2010

On 10/23/2010 01:02 AM, Chuck Harris wrote:
> I don't believe the parts are failing due to structural
> problems, but rather are just leaking down their buried charge.
>
> It should be quite possible to refresh them by erasing them and
> reprogramming.

If you maintain EPROM programmers for them in workable shape. With this
I mean you need to ensure the complete path, not only the programmer
hardware but also any supporting software and interfaces such that you
can upload/download images, convert formats etc. etc.

Most of the 27xx EPROMs are not my main worries, but older and stranger
stuff. If a ROMed controller fails, what happends then? The 5334 has no
less than three microprocessors with EPROMs... where do I get a spare of
those?

Backup of EPROMs is a concern to take serious. I have been sloppy on my
side. It is not only for the measurement instruments, I have the same
issue with my musical instruments too.

Cheers,
Magnus