[time-nuts] Maintaining boatanchors (was Capacitor Failures)

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 23 22:04:26 UTC 2010

J. Forster wrote:
> True.
>
> I've been in warehouses with hundreds of rows of shelves of Bankers Boxes
> filled with records. I doubt the stuff is even indexed.

Yep.. You get to the end of your phase of the project. You've got file
cabinets and shelves full of stuff, most junk, but some useful, as do
your co-workers. The managers are anxious to "get those people off the
charge number" and besides YOU want to get working on the next project.
  So, into the boxes it goes, "Miscellaneous documentation, Box 1 of
50", "Miscellaneous documentation, Box 2 of 50".

If something goes wrong, and you need to do it, you ask for a big
conference room and have them bring back all 50 boxes, and THEN go
hunting through it for the stuff you need.

We all start out saying, "This time, we're going to archive things in an
orderly way, and do it as we go along, and it's going to be a exemplary
situation" and pretty soon, as schedules get tight and budgets tighter,
that good intention goes by the wayside.

(And besides, nobody ever gets an award or merit pay increase for "good
filing".. you get it for "delivering the product on time", or worse yet
"for finding that nugget in the 100 boxes of documentation")