[time-nuts] homebrew H maser

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Wed Sep 1 17:46:54 UTC 2010

> Hi
>
> My guess is that you put the adjuster entirely inside the vacuum
> enclosure.
> Pump the gizmo down, stabilize it, measure where it's at. Do some math,
> pop
> it open move the adjuster x.xx turns. Step and repeat. Possibly have a
> fine
> and a coarse mechanical adjust screw.

This kind of thing is done with Inchworms, totally in vacuum. Only a few
(4 to 6)small wires come out through a vacuum feedthrough. Or you can use
mechanical linkages and SS or copper bellows.

The Inchworms can have several inches of travel with sub-micron sized
steps. They are grab-move-release incremental piezoelectric actuarors.

> It's a one time only sort of thing. You can afford to do it the hard way.
>
> Another option would be to allow the screws to come through the envelope
> and
> leak a little bit during the adjust process. Once you were done with
> adjustment, seal them up with a low out gassing epoxy. My guess is that
> would be a problem thermally. If you need 0.001C gradients, you can't have
> more than one thermal path to the cavity.

With the vacuums in the MASER manual, you cannot have any leaks. Even so,
they rough pump the thing, pinch of metal seals, and then run Ion pumps.

If you try to cut corners with high vacuun technology, you will be
disappointed. Even with all new parts and carefull assembly, you will
almost certainly have to He Leak Detect the system to get it tight. I've
done this stuff. It is doable but certainly not trivial. And you cannot be
sloppy.

YMMV,

-John