[time-nuts] Off Topic in the Extreme

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Thu Sep 2 13:34:08 UTC 2010

Hi

In this case the company is the legacy monopoly wire line carrier for this area. If you want coper wires you go to them. There is no other choice. They do what ever the government regulators make them do. The supervisor referred to those regulations in about every third sentence.

Century and Embarq were two separate companies until fairly recently. They obviously are having a tough time getting things stitched together. Both were relatively small outfits and the combination is still pretty small. Their footprint covers a lot of farms and not many big urban areas.

The net result is that most of their customers have no real choice in suppliers. Unless they live 18 minutes from the state capital they have little ability to interact with the regulators. Of course the lucky few who do live close to the capital and who do have choices ....

Bob