[time-nuts] Freestanding mast

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 10:42:15 UTC 2010

Magnus,

On 7 September 2010 19:49, Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Steve,
>
> On 09/07/2010 08:08 AM, Steve Rooke wrote:
>>
>> Well, Steve has been experiencing a LOT of after-shocks, some of which
>> are still big enough to move things around and I found I had to grab
>> hold of my cup of tea to stop it shaking onto the floor last night. In
>> fact these after-shocks are still opening up new cracks in roads and
>> causing buildings to fall.
>>
>> As for my height position, I have run a few surveys but I'm getting
>> varying readings and I wonder if the after-shocks are messing up the
>> survey results. The latest one which was during a fairly stable period
>> was 6.8 MSL.
>>
>> The mast could have sunk a bit or even this whole area could have done
>> as I live on reclaimed marsh-land. My Mothers 3 year old house looks
>> like it has sunk a bit at one and and risen at the other, ie. it looks
>> like it has tipped slightly as her house is built on a concrete
>> pontoon.
>>
>> It wouldn't surprise me if they adjust the height of MSL but I would
>> have thought they would have moved it the other way in an attempt to
>> forestall fears of the effects of Global Warming.
>
> I keep wondering if you have not had a change in your multipath environment.
> Multipath can cause biases like that...
>
> If things have been dislocated a bit sideways and such, the vector sum may
> be quite different...

I still can't get a stable reading from doing repeated surveys so
something is effecting the readings as they used to come out at 7.5m
MSL reliably. The latest one was 5.4m MSL and I'm having trouble
believing that. As regards a change in multipath, I really don't see
how that could be the case as we have not had any lateral movement of
the immediate surrounding environment and I'm pretty clear of
obstacles to the North as my garden leads onto a wildlife reserve with
hardly any trees nearby.

Cheers,
Steve

> Cheers,
> Magnus

Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.
- Einstein