[time-nuts] Steve's new QTH...

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Sep 7 20:27:56 UTC 2010

> Maybe they were actually interested in the humidity as a source of phase
> distortion or attenuation?

> Maybe they wanted to prove that the temperature did not cause a problem?

> Or maybe just a government paid-for helicopter ride.

Geologists are interested in plate motions over extended periods of time
(years) so there should be lots of opportunities for rides.  Are they
creeping or jumping?  How far?

You can measure motion along a fault if you can measure the distance between
two places on opposite sides of the fault.  In this area, the San Andreas
splits into several faults.  That pair of mountains straddles most of them.

Distance is speed-of-light times time.  They can measure the round trip time.

The speed of light in air depends upon the density which depends upon
temperature.  I think I could work out the details with enough time/work, but
a quick search didn't find it.

Yes, humidity probably is important too.

I don't think they are interested in attenuation as long as they have a
strong enough signal to get a clean reading on the time.