[time-nuts] HP 5370B - result

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Wed Sep 15 10:40:40 UTC 2010

After cooling and restarting the 5370B and observing its behavior, we
judged that it was more likely it had an unheated 10811 than an
oscillator of lower stability, so we popped the lid (the possibility
that it didn't have a 10811/10544 was the reason for leaving it
intact so it could be returned).  Sure enough, we found a cold 10811
and an open thermal fuse.  After replacing the thermal fuse with a
jumper, all appears normal.  (As others have noted, it appears to me
that if the heater control failed the crystal and heater would suffer
major trauma before the thermal fuse opened, so we deemed it superfluous.)

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!

Charles