[time-nuts] Next Generation Time/Frequency Standards May Require Provisions Preventing Vertical Displacement

Pieter ten Pierick time-nuts-mail at tenpierick.com
Wed Sep 29 16:55:59 UTC 2010

Hi,

> See the following:
>
> http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100923/full/news.2010.487.html
>
> Of course, we're probably a few years away from seeing commercially
> available
> instruments with the required precision/accuracy...but it will come.

I read that the moving of NIST F1 1 floor indeed changed the frequency
quite a bit.
(The change in altitude was 11.5 feet)
That article also mentioned that the warming up of the building itself in
summer has an effect on some of the newest research clocks, because the
environment changes shape...
See
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2007/12/time_nist?currentPage=all

(Not that those clocks are commercially available, though :-/ )

Greetings,
Pieter.