[time-nuts] locate 6 digit digital clock

Collins, Graham CollinG at navcanada.ca
Thu Jun 9 11:21:40 UTC 2011

Now that is very high in the cool factor!

This has been an interesting thread and got me to thinking about
building something similar for myself.

A quick search for Arduino and LED or LCD Clock returned many hits and
lots of interesting ideas for rolling my own.

For those not acquainted Arduino it is a simple development/learning
platform based on an Atmel chip which has become very popular for
hacking and playing around with. So popular in fact that you can now get
PIC and a 75 MHz ARM based Arduino like compatible boards - same form
factor and common IDE.

You could for example take an Arduino board, plug on a LCD display
shield, add a simple "sketch" (aka program) and have a functional clock,
- add some software to sync to a gps 1 pps (etc, etc).

The plug on boards with different functionalities are called shields and
you can get pretty much whatever you would like - Ethernet, wireless,
Bluetooth, etc. Do a quick general Google search or have a look on eBay;
you might be surprised.

Cheers, Graham ve3gtc