[time-nuts] Advice on NTP server needed

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 22:05:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 2:25 PM, gary <lists at lazygranch.com> wrote:
> I've been moving my 24 & 7 tasks to an Intel Atom PC, mostly to be green.
> It's not all that cheap since I used a SSD in the construction. Anyway my
> point is running an old PC to be er um frugal might turn out to be more
> expensive than running an intel atom. It all depends on your power costs.

I have an Atom too.  Find the version of Atom that can run with no CPU
cooling fan.  The model number change over time but always the lack of
a fan means they don't use much power.

Notebooks have always been somewhat power effisent.  If you have an
old notebook it can work.

But cost-wiise it is impossable to beat simply adding NTP software to
any erver that is already running.  zero cost, zero added power and so
on.   Any computer that already runs 24x7 is a candidate for this.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California