[time-nuts] No more 60Hz! TEC Elimination

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Sat Jun 25 02:20:27 UTC 2011

John,

That's true, but can the secondary voltage stand to drop that much? Let's
say we have a 12 volt regulated circuit, and the design engineer used the
minimum input voltage to the regulator of 13.4 volts, or 1.4 volts over the
regulated value needed (I've seen this done). Dropping the line from say
120 Vac to 100 Vac would drop the secondary DC down to around 11.2 to 11.4
Vdc, well under the minimum supply voltage of 13.4 Vdc, and under the
regulated value. When you get into plate transformers, with high winding
ratios, the voltage drop gets a good bit different. However, I should have
said, one should never run a 60 Hz transformer, or motor, on the same line
voltage it was rated for at a lower 50 Hz.

Best,

Will