[time-nuts] Lightsquared goes Global...

Robert LaJeunesse rlajeunesse at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 30 20:00:23 UTC 2011

Might be worth a read of some of Charlie Rhodes'  columns at TV Technology. The
latest is "Can Terrestrial Broadcasting and GPS Co-exist in Adjoining Spectrum?"
and is at http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/122176

Over the years Charlie has presented what seems IMHO to be valid reasons why TV
white spaces - aka guardbands - exist and that terrestrial TV needs them. Same
applies for GPS and LS. I'd at least agree that the need for white spaces is one
main reason why "Terrestrial TV simply cannot use all the bandwidth it is
allotted". Of course, my meaning of "use" here is that of "occupy". I think Mr.
Rhodes would contend even un-occupied spectrum is in use...

Bob LaJeunesse