[time-nuts] TV White Spaces and wasted spectrum

John Green wpxs472 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 21:00:59 UTC 2011

Quote:
That is the "white space" plan. It is still active. It is an attempt to use
wasted TV bandwidth.

TV bandwidth is a waste. It is not a growing business. However, the MS
scheme is kind of dumb. The gear would sniff the ether and automatically use
the spectrum. They should really just refarm the spectrum.

I think the broadcasters are just waiting for the right price for their
spectrum. Over the air broadcasting doesn't reach that many people any more.
When the switch to digital occurred, all the stations around here reduced
power. Most by 10 Db. Stations that used to have a good picture in analog
mode now either aren't at all or reception is spotty. I changed to
satellite. In my view, the switch to digital wasn't progress.