[time-nuts] Looking for a Counter

Robert LaJeunesse rlajeunesse at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 6 16:27:36 UTC 2011

If you can find an HP 5316B at the right price it would meet your basic needs.
Takes 1, 5, or 10 MHz for external reference (has 10MHz out). The A and B
channels are 100MHz rated, optional C channel is 1GHz. The optional TCXO (or
OCXO) is likely not needed in your case. GPIB might prove handy. I picked up
mine at Dayton for well under $100, although it did seem to be the "steal of a
deal" that year.

From: Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com

I would like to get a counter that
    a) has 10 MHz clock input
    b) counts directly to 30 MHz (50 or 145 preferred)

I would like it to be maintainable and well under $100
including shipping.

I have seen Fluke 1953a counters advertised on Ebay.
Is this a good choice or would something else be better?