[time-nuts] [volt-nuts] Safe power-up. was (Solartron 7075 ...)

Peter Gottlieb nerd at verizon.net
Tue Oct 11 13:44:14 UTC 2011

   Nice try.  The stuff I fix is not my own, it is incoming with unknown
   history.  Once I fix things they generally stay fixed.
   Think of my testing as a form of HASS... I don't like to get things
   back which I repaired.  If capacitors are weak, I would rather replace
   them than play with reforming.

   On 10/11/11, WarrenS<warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com> wrote:
   Peter Gottlieb nerd at verizon.net wrote:
   > 99% of the time I just plug things in and see what happens.
   > I do fix a lot of stuff, though,
   Hmmm,
   I have to wonder if there is more than a casual cause and effect
   relationship between those two statements.
   I've seen a strong relationship between the wasted time spent fixing
   extra
   things that where fried unnecessary, with how careful one is at initial
   turn
   on.
   Monitoring the wattage, using a Kill-A-Watt meter when turning on Old
   things
   can save 'futzing time' in the long run.
   And the most time saving thing I've found besides "apply power and
   throw it
   out if there is smoke or nothing",
   is to do a complete visual inspection inside, to insure things are
   still the
   way they where designed to be, BEFORE applying any power.
   Yes Variac, My spell checker thanks you for teaching it the correct
   spelling.
   I find it one of the more useful pieces of test equipipment when
   checking/modifying things to get max Nut-Precision from them.
   If changing the line voltage or the temperature a little causes ANY
   measurable effect on performance,
   then for me, it's time to change something and made it better, which
   can
   often be done with just simple changes (and a lot of futzing time).
   ws
   ************
   Peter Gottlieb nerd at verizon.net
   Hmmm. 99% of the time I just plug things in and see what happens.
   That's
   what
   they were designed to do. If something pops I fix it from there. If a
   fuse
   keeps blowing I use the light bulb in series trick.
   On older tube gear I do "softly" bring it up with the variable
   autotransformer
   (Variac, Powerstat), but that's only really because of the capacitors.
   Just my 2 cents. I do fix a lot of stuff, though, and don't like to
   waste
   time
   futzing when I don't have to. Weak parts get replaced. If they were
   likely
   fail enough to do so when I just plug something in, they need replacing
   anyway.
   ******************
   On 10/11/2011 1:14 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
   >> The proper use of the variact's output voltage has a learning curve,
   >> because
   >> equipment with switchers behave differently than things with
   linearly
   >> supplies
   >>
   >> ws
   >
   > Warren,
   >
   > It's likely "Variac" you mean, not "variact"
   > [1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variac#Variable_autotransformers
   >
   > Cheers,
   > David
   To unsubscribe, go to