[time-nuts] Sneaky Errors

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Oct 19 23:06:48 UTC 2011

On 10/20/2011 12:57 AM, David VanHorn wrote:

> Steadily increasing phase error is to let there be a frequency error.
> Frequency is the derivate of phase, so it comes with the territory.
>
> So a 200 ns per second phase drift would provide a frequency error of 2
> Hz on your 10 MHz. Can't have one without the other.
>

> I understand, I'm just saying that if the absolute phase is wandering a bit over tens of seconds, it's NOT an issue.

So, you are saying that the stability is not that important. Fair
enough. I also assume that absolute phase biases is not of your
concern... so that your second is shifted by say 4711 us doesn't hurt
you, as long as you get your 10 MHz on average.

What frequency stability do you need, over which time? (i.e. what ADEV
value for which tau)

Cheers,
Magnus