[time-nuts] C-Max Receiver Experiment

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Oct 31 05:54:17 UTC 2011

> Nuts,
>
> I recently picked up a C-Max evaluation kit from SparkFun to see if this
> $10 board could be used as a precision timing source.  The short answer
> is
> no.  The long answer is available at:
> http://www.fuzzythinking.com/?page_id=29 .
>
> It was a fun experiment and a great excuse to play with test equipment
> :-)
>
> Thanks,
> -JP

Thanks for posting that, Justin, it was most interesting, and the
reference to Brooke Clarke's page, which I did not know.

It would be interesting to know what the analogue signal looks like, as
many pieces of electrical and electronic equipment can radiate
significantly on those frequencies.  I expect you optimised the signal,
though, as you've mentioned it.

Are you sure the images are all correct?  To me, your Fig 2 and Fig 3
images look identical, as do Fig 6 and Fig 7.

"Precision" - well, that depends, doesn't it?  Perhaps more precise than a
very poor Internet connection?  Better than no Internet connection at all!
Certainly not GPS level.

Cheers,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu