[time-nuts] Buzzing 5061B

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Sat Sep 3 11:52:37 UTC 2011

When you first plug in these, in 'CS OFF', the +3500 VDC power supply comes
on to pump the tube down while the 10811 10 MHz oscillator warms up.  Once
the Ion Pump I goes below abut 25 to 30 on the meter, then you can put it in
'LOOP OPEN' which turns on the CS Oven, the -2500 VDC supply and pretty much
the rest of the system.  Once the CS OVEN warms up, the BEAM I and 2nd
Harmonic come up, you can put it in 'OPERATE', hit the start button and it
should lock.  The clock will 'run' at initial power up in the 'CS OFF' as
long as there is 10 MHz (and thus 1 PPS) output.  That says that the power
supplies are operating and probably normally.

Therefore, assuming my memory of this is accurate and you just have it in
'CS OFF' position, I would be suspicious of the +3500 VDC supply which sits
behind the clock.

Of course, your power transformer would be suspect as well as L1, the choke
that sits in front of it.

Lifting the top and bottom covers and plugging it in should be helpful in
identifying the culprit.

Do you have the battery back up option?  If so, the batteries are 'drained'
from the unit being powered down and the battery charger could also be an
issue.

Good luck.

Joe