[time-nuts] HP quality

Jose Camara camaraq1 at quantacorp.com
Sun Sep 11 17:11:33 UTC 2011

I've had better luck with all the 'broken', 'for parts', 'repair' HP
equipment I scored cheap on eBay. It is a cash-positive hobby, buy broken
for $200, sell working to highest bidder (sometimes 10x). Feels as good as
getting a pound puppy in a good home, you learn a thing or two (often more)
about rf, stable circuits, good design and the easy money to be made on
leaky or dried electrolytic caps.  One repair a week keeps the shrink away.

I have the utmost respect for their RF line, spectrum analyzers, generators.
I once had a 22yr old generator that hasn't been used in years but I
couldn't turn a single pot or trimmer, every voltage, frequency was within
spec.  In fact, there are some newer equipment that seemed to show up faulty
more often, like 34970 acquisition boxes - I never found out if it was due
to the much higher volume of those boxes made (same failure rate times 20x
the number of units made), new assembly plant in a new country with not
fully trained workers, or just poorer design.

A couple of years ago there was an avalanche of cheap equipment on eBay,
lots of company must have closed after the .com bubble, now there are less
bargains, and plenty of professional resellers trying to get 90% of retail
on 15yr old boxes.

One equipment that doesn't seem to get to the 'fixed' bin is the 6812B. Nice
AC power generator - variable amplitude, frequency (aviation 400Hz),
glitches, brown outs, etc. Think of almost an arb with 750VA output.  I've
done the 'close your eyes and replace all MOSFETs' just to get a new set of
blown parts, and then stopped at bringing up the FET board from a lower DC
voltage (60V not 500V). If anyone has worked in one of these, any hints are
welcome.

On the 'bad out of factory' issue, I never saw in HP or Agilent equipment,
but one Sony TV once had 5 pins on the tuner never soldered - the factory
whistle must have sounded after pin 5 and the thing was tested and shipped
the next day. This was a lesser line out of Mexico - two XBRs have been
running for 10+ yrs without a glitch.

Jose